Saturday, December 15, 2012

Skin & Hair

First, a shot of all the familiars with a full-sized person on a similar base for scale. Limited depth of field makes the front ones out of focus, but it should still be good enough to show the relative size.


I think that's more of an ROUS than a normal rat.

I finished the skin, face, and hair of the dual-wield woman:



She has really tiny eyes and one of them is tucked in behind her hair. I used a pen to get a spot for the iris/pupil in there. It was particularly difficult with this one to get the spots where I wanted them without making a mess. When you're not looking at it in close up, it's not too bad. Not great, but passable.

I'm giving her black hair, with can be tricky. I may mess with it some more. I'm trying to decide if it has too much highlight, too little, too bright, or what. I use my dog as my black hair model. You can see there's a lot of highlight, and they're pretty bight, but she still reads as mostly black.


Also did skin, hair, and face on the bar matron, along with a base coat of her shirt.



I did put some ruddy color on her cheeks. I have recently been watching Marike Rimer's Dark Sword video, and she talks about using Reaper's Clear Red for that purpose. Tried it. Didn't work for me. I'm not sure how she managed to get it as subtle as she did. I had a horrible time getting it to go on smoothly, and it kept drying with hard edges like it was pooling. I ended up going with a different red, which I got to work out better for me.

Also, she has huge eyes (relatively speaking), so I tried putting in actual colored irises and pupils.Again, when you're not looking at it up close,  it's OK. I think I'm going to have to get some magnifiers soon, if I want to do tiny detail. I just can't see it well enough.

And, I started a base coat on the minotaur:



Yes, he's kind of spotty. He's meant to be. I'm painting him up like a dairy cow - black and white spots. Yes, it's been done before, probably many times...but I don't have one yet. So that's what I'm doing.






No comments:

Post a Comment