I've decided to proceed with Jack as he is, ignoring my concerns about the feel he's got. I'm just going to push through. He's not going to come out the way I'd envisioned, and this is probably going to be a more difficult process because of that, but I don't want to keep backtracking.
I probably should have gone with purple and red.
Anyway. I painted he lapels black again, because I have decided to go back to trying to make them look like velvet. I also added pinstripes to the rest of the jacket, and started the process of cleaning them up.
There's always some edge cleanup of freehand, no matter how simple or complex it is. Nobody paints perfectly sharp freehand on the first go-around. There's always some neatening-up to be done. So, here he is with just the stripes, no clean up.
And here he is after the back and the side without the flower have been cleaned up.
Hopefully you can see some differences. The stripes are more evenly sized, and the angles and edges of them have been fixed as needed.
After I finish cleaning up the stripes, I'll shade and highlight (mostly highlight, there's not much shading to be done) the jacket. Well, there's not really much highlighting to be done, either. But anyway, after that, I think I need to take care of the ruffle before I can work on the lapels and collar, otherwise I'll just make a mess of the collar while working on parts of the shirt.