Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Revenant base done

 Wrapped up work on the revenant's base. I think so, at least. I may find touch ups or other things I need to fix as I go on. 

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Revenant Base: More Vines

 Continued on the vines on the revenant's base. They're shaded and highlighted now.

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Revenant Base: Vines

 I got a base coat on the vines on the revenant's base. It was a big pain. Partly that was my own fault for the color I chose - that kind of yellowish green paint has notoriously bad coverage. This particular one wasn't too bad; it only took three coats to get a good solid base. However, getting the base color on the vines against the skull took patience and a steady hand, and I still have to do some cleanup there.

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Revenant Base: Ferns

 Kept working on the base for the revenant today. I painted up the ferns; I think they're done.

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Revenant Base

 I felt like working on the revenant's base today. I've shaded and highlighted the big skull. Got another base layer on the little skull, and then promptly forgot about it again. :( In any case, next will be finishing the little skull and starting on the ferns and vines.

Monday, June 13, 2022

Banshee: Skin

 I added another round of shading and some highlights to her skin. 

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Banshee: Lantern. Set: Base.

 I painted the inner bits of the banshee's lantern and, for good or ill, reattached it. Happy with the result, though it's just a base coat.

Also started putting together a base for my next large format project. This will be a 72mm Set. The pillars are resin prints, the base the figure came with is in there, and then I slathered texture paste over the whole thing to be sandy ground. 

I need to make some decisions on how 'ruined' it should look. There is sand covering the tile floor, which says 'pretty ruined' to me, but I didn't break the pillars, and I'd kinda like to paint them as they'd have been at the time (to the best of our knowledge, anyway). Also second guessing how far I took the sandy stuff up to the bases of the pillars. I might adjust that.

The holes are the spots where he's supposed to attach to the base that came with the figure.

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Revenant Base

 Did a little work on the revenant's base. Painted the dirt texture I added the same base brown, and base coated the rest of the skull. I've decided to go with spring colors for him, though I won't get to the greenery for a bit.

Sunday, June 5, 2022

Banshee: Clothes, Lamp

 Finished the basecoat on the banshee's clothing, and started her lamp. I need to paint the lamp and some of the area around it and then get it attached so I can do the source lighting from the right directions.

Friday, June 3, 2022

Banshee: Veil. Revenant: Base

I added the additional texture and bits to the revenant's base. It was a pain! The texture paste stuff I'm using...I don't know if it's because it's a new bottle, they changed the formula, or it's always been like this, but I'm having a much harder time with it than I remember having with my old bottle. It's very liquid, but also wants to stick with whatever tool you're trying to use to place it. So, I was trying to build some up against the sculpted base, I'd push it up where I wanted it, and then withdrawing the tool would pull it right back. It's also too fluid to hold anything in place. Sigh.

Anyway, I got stuff mostly how I wanted it eventually.

Then that guy needed to set, so I went back to the banshee. I need to do more shading and the highlights on her body, but I wanted to get a better sense of the overall I started a base coat on her veil, gloves, and bodice. I'm feeling better about it now.

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Warsong Revenant: Base

 Started a new 32mm figure. This is the Warsong Revenant from Games Workshop...or at least his base. This figure comes in many, many parts, and determining what can be put together and what has to be painted before the next piece can be's like a puzzle. 

In any case, here's his base. I had most of it put together, but one of the fern pieces was going to make it hard to paint some of the stuff around it. So, I painted the area under and behind, and then glued the fern on. 

Next, I'm going to put some texture paste around it to being the ground up to the edge of the base, and then add some more plants. After that I'm going to have to start making some decisions pretty quickly. I painted a figure from this faction last year or the year before, and I gave it fall coloring. Based on the plants here, this figure really wants to be more of a spring/early summer thing. I don't feel like I need to do them in the same colors - I'm not building an army. But I do like the fall colors on the other guy. So, I'm going to have to give that some thought.