Monday, October 25, 2021

Perseus: Medusa, Face highlights & details

 I finished...more or less...Medusa's face today.

I had her eyes roll up since she's...well...dead, but I'm not sure it carried the effect the way I was hoping. Also to help with the 'dead' feeling, I painted the eyes as normal, but then went over them with a very light glaze of off white. Not sure that carried, either. 

As for the highlights on her face, I glazed over them and a chunk of the mid tone with yellow. It gave an overall gold cast to it that I'm happy with, but dulled down the highlights. That was expected, but I'm not sure if I need to go back and brighten them up again or not. They look brighter in person than they do in the picture here, but still.

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Perseus: Medusa, shading, details

Got in a little work on Medusa today. I added another round of shading on her skin, and then started filling in some of the details. I still need to do highlights on her skin. Normally I'd do that before the details, but I was tired and low on time.

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Perseus: Medusa

I started work on the Perseus bust today...sort of. I've started on Medusa's head, which will get attached to his hand.

I don't want to give her green skin, but I do want to give her a green tint to it. So, I've used an Olive Skin base (same as Perseus got), I'm going green in the shadows, and will shift the highlights yellow.

Sunday, October 17, 2021


 I finished up his base today, as expected. I spent the rest of my hobby time this afternoon doing prep and cleanup for next projects. So, next time I post, it'll be something new!

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Sorcerer: Mostly Done

Finished the vapor around the staff, and mostly finished the base. I am going to futz with the grass a bit more, most likely. But he's mostly there! Yay!

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Sorcerer: Staff

 I got a little time in on the sorcerer's staff today. I finished the globe on top, and finished base coating the vapor stuff. Probably not going to finish it this weekend, unfortunately. I need to work on some of my upcoming projects to get them ready to go.

Monday, October 11, 2021

Sorcerer: Staff, base

 Base coated the pillar on the base, and while I waited for that to dry, worked on the staff topper. In the process of base coating that, I realized that part of what I thought was the cloud of...I dunno, smoke?...around the top of the staff is actually more decoration on the staff itself. So, I went back and painted that gold. The gold is done. It did make me change my idea for the colors; instead of making the globe yellow and maybe glowing a bit, I'm going to make it blue like the gems.

Sunday, October 10, 2021

Sorcerer: Gems, mirror

 I got the gems, bottle, and mirror on the sorcerer done today. As usual, the details make a big difference.

There are some issues with the back side of the mirror - I had trouble reaching in there, and didn't wait long enough to glaze over it so pulled off a blub of partly dry paint. I may try to finish fixing it up; we'll see. It's the back and not very visible from most angles.

Friday, October 8, 2021

Sorcerer: Gold done!

 I finished up the gold on the sorcerer today. Yay! Next will be the gems and bottle, I think. Then the horns and mirror, and then I'll have to decide what to do with that stuff at the top of his staff.

Thursday, October 7, 2021

Sorcerer: Gold, Horns, Mirror

 Continued on the gold; I took the staff, kneepad...well, everything except the shoulder pads, hat, and mirror up to the top white highlight. I had a couple minutes after that so I put a base coat on the horns and what I'm going to paint up like a mirror, I think.

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Sorcerer: More Gold

 Continued on the gold on the sorcerer today. It is taking a long time.

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Sorcerer, Perseus, Dragon

 This is actually a few days' worth of work. I wasn't able to get pictures and do an update until today.

I continued working on the gold on the sorcerer. I shaded it all and started on highlights, but there's still a ways to go on it.

I've also been working on prepping my next projects. Here's Perseus; he was primed and then base coated with an airbrush. He's so big and so much of him is skin, I think I saved myself a bunch of time by airbrushing him.

And then, this dragon. He was in a cabinet waiting to get painted. I got rid of the cabinet, so...he needs to get painted. Now, since I bought this thing probably 15 years ago (or more) I've acquired many better dragons. I'm not feeling the love for this one anymore. So, he's airbrush practice. I worked on base coated him, but I dropped it. His head popped off, the wings got bent, and a join in his lower body broke and was bent out of alignment. I fixed the wings, will need to glue his head back on, and I'll have to putty the broken join. After that, I'll get back to painting him.