I have continued working on the mermaid today. I did her halter top and started on the hair. The purple parts of her hair still need highlights. So far, I am really enjoying this figure and how it's coming out.
Wednesday, December 29, 2021
Monday, December 27, 2021
I was eager to see how the colors would work out on the mermaid's tail, so I got a base coat on her scales, So far, I'm happy.
Then I went back to Medusa and worked on the patterns on some of the snakes. This is going to be slow going.
Sunday, December 26, 2021
Saturday, December 25, 2021
I worked on the mermaid's skin today. This is shaded and has a first round of highlights. I also changed the base tone - looking at it again, it wasn't dark enough and was too yellow. I glazed over it, but I couldn't get that to be smooth; it was all blotchy. So, I ended up going over it with the glaze color as a base coat. Now the base is darker than I wanted, but I'm going to go with it all the same.
Friday, December 24, 2021
Hopefully I should get back to more frequent updates for a while.
Anyway, I've started working on Medusa's hair-snakes. The red ones will have a pattern; the green will just be viper green.
It's going to take a while to do all those snakes.
I've also started a mermaid:
I'm going off a reference photo for that skin tone, which is just the base coat so far. I'm not quite sure it's a total match...but it's close enough that I think a bit of glazing should handle shifting it to be a bit darker and browner.
Sunday, December 19, 2021
Saturday, November 13, 2021
Tuesday, November 9, 2021
More highlights on the cloaks and robes, some detail work on the guy with the book. These guys are done; the next step will be to lay out the base, put the ground texture on, and make the spots for these guys. Once the first layer of ground texture is dry, I will glue them in place and use a little more of the texture paste to hide their bases.
Monday, November 8, 2021
Sunday, November 7, 2021
I've started working on a commission, so posts will be more infrequent for a while. But in the meantime, here's what I've been doing:
These cultists are going to go on a base for another figure I'm working on. I need them to be painted before they go on the base, and I need to be able to place them as I'm laying down the rest of the base pieces, so I'm trying to paint them quickly. I might bring up the highlights on the green robes a little more, but I might not - they're supposed to kind of blend in to the background, not be focal points themselves. I might wait until more of it is together and decide then.
Monday, October 25, 2021
I finished...more or less...Medusa's face today.
I had her eyes roll up since she's...well...dead, but I'm not sure it carried the effect the way I was hoping. Also to help with the 'dead' feeling, I painted the eyes as normal, but then went over them with a very light glaze of off white. Not sure that carried, either.
As for the highlights on her face, I glazed over them and a chunk of the mid tone with yellow. It gave an overall gold cast to it that I'm happy with, but dulled down the highlights. That was expected, but I'm not sure if I need to go back and brighten them up again or not. They look brighter in person than they do in the picture here, but still.
Thursday, October 21, 2021
Got in a little work on Medusa today. I added another round of shading on her skin, and then started filling in some of the details. I still need to do highlights on her skin. Normally I'd do that before the details, but I was tired and low on time.
Wednesday, October 20, 2021
I started work on the Perseus bust today...sort of. I've started on Medusa's head, which will get attached to his hand.
I don't want to give her green skin, but I do want to give her a green tint to it. So, I've used an Olive Skin base (same as Perseus got), I'm going green in the shadows, and will shift the highlights yellow.
Sunday, October 17, 2021
Saturday, October 16, 2021
Thursday, October 14, 2021
I got a little time in on the sorcerer's staff today. I finished the globe on top, and finished base coating the vapor stuff. Probably not going to finish it this weekend, unfortunately. I need to work on some of my upcoming projects to get them ready to go.
Monday, October 11, 2021
Base coated the pillar on the base, and while I waited for that to dry, worked on the staff topper. In the process of base coating that, I realized that part of what I thought was the cloud of...I dunno, smoke?...around the top of the staff is actually more decoration on the staff itself. So, I went back and painted that gold. The gold is done. It did make me change my idea for the colors; instead of making the globe yellow and maybe glowing a bit, I'm going to make it blue like the gems.
Sunday, October 10, 2021
I got the gems, bottle, and mirror on the sorcerer done today. As usual, the details make a big difference.
There are some issues with the back side of the mirror - I had trouble reaching in there, and didn't wait long enough to glaze over it so pulled off a blub of partly dry paint. I may try to finish fixing it up; we'll see. It's the back and not very visible from most angles.
Friday, October 8, 2021
Thursday, October 7, 2021
Continued on the gold; I took the staff, kneepad...well, everything except the shoulder pads, hat, and mirror up to the top white highlight. I had a couple minutes after that so I put a base coat on the horns and what I'm going to paint up like a mirror, I think.