I didn't have a lot of time tonight, so I worked on adding some quick highlights to the male drider to finish my skin tone test. I settled on some highlight colors for both the lighter and darker base, and I have settled on a set that I'm happy with.
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Monday, March 15, 2021
I finished up the base on the wood elf today. She'd be done....except I forgot I'd gotten a little of the green from her cloak on her cheek, and forgot to clean it up. So, I have to do that next time, and then she'll be done.
I've also been experimenting with skin tones for a commission that I will start soon. Here's my test pieces. This guy has two base skin tones, both of which have been shaded.
And another one, with a couple more base skin tones. No shading here. I'm not going to use either of these, so I'm not following through on them now.
I plan to finish these off eventually. I'll probably leave them with their half and half skin tones, though.
Sunday, March 14, 2021
Saturday, March 13, 2021
Friday, March 12, 2021
Monday, March 8, 2021
I continued on the wood elf today. I might end up just working through on her until she's done.
Anyway, I shaded and highlighted her hair, painted her antlers, and then started base coating her pants. Once I started that, I decided to do her bracers the same color.
Sunday, March 7, 2021
I got started on base coats on Jack and the elf today. I had put some thought into what Jack's color scheme would be like, and then decided to use the same skin and hair colors on the elf just so I wouldn't have to get out different paints. Then, after base coating the skin on both, I ended up finishing the skin and face on the elf, and starting the hair. It did help verify that those two colors would work together, but mostly I just felt like continuing on the elf.
Oh yeah, I also put an undercoat on the basing. This was to help make sure all the cracks and crevasses are painted in dark. I'll go back over it with gray.
Looks like she's also one of those that doesn't want to photograph well. Boo!
I got a base coat on Jack's skin - same base as on the elf. That was it for him, though.
Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Today I got both Jack and the elf primed, and Jack attached to his flat base. They don't look terribly different, but next time they should be ready for paint.
I used the airbrush to prime both of these. I learned something priming the elf: If you're going to airbrush prime with this kind of base, prime the base and figure separately. The natural materials on the base suck up primer, and it seems like you need to be generous with it. That is not the case for the figure. As a result, her legs and boots have a heavier coat of primer than they need. I don't think I lost any detail, but it's not the best. Also, I got rough spots on the plastic base where I was holding it while priming that I'll probably want to clean up.
Jack was primed pretty smoothly, I think. I haven't noticed any problems yet, anyway. Then I glued him on to the base.
Now I'm just wondering why so many figures have their heads tilted down. :p
Monday, March 1, 2021
I was still doing prep work on those two next projects today. I went over rough spots with some gloss sealer to smooth things out; I'm hopeful that it will be enough to smooth the 3D printer lines on the elf. I also did prep work on the bases. I sealed the flat base for the bust after inking it black yesterday. I also built up the woodsy base for the elf. Here's how that looks: