Saturday, July 31, 2021

Wall - Base Coat

 I got a fair bit of important work done on the display base today, though there's not a lot of visual progress. I was dry fitting pieces and adjusting things like the height of the railing to make sure everything was going to go together the way I want. I also decided what to put her other foot on, and got that ready to go. About the only obvious progress, though, was getting a base coat of gray on the wall section:

Next will be finishing the paint on there, painting the railing, and then attaching it to the wall piece. 

Wednesday, July 28, 2021


 I built the railing for the cathedral wall today. It's nor attached to the main part of the base yet. I need to let the glue dry, then make a couple adjustments so it fits with the figure the way I want it to. But overall I'm pretty happy with how it is coming together.

Here it is with the figure in place:

Monday, July 26, 2021

Window Colors

 Got color in on the window tonight. This was kind of a pain, and I'm not entirely sold on the results yet. From the right angle and with the right lighting it's very good. Without those things, it's meh at best.

Sunday, July 25, 2021

This project needs a name

 Got more work on on the scenic base. I got some paste on the foam to fill in gaps and give it a bit of protection. I forgot to texture it before doing that, so I tried doing it after. Still worked fine, so that's good to know. I worked out the placement of the figure and put in the pins so she could be dry fit into the base. Here's what it's going to look like.

Next steps for the base are to paint color on the back of the window, and then paint the stone. After that will be placing the railing.

I also need to start on her. I need to fix the bend on one of the lower fabric pieces, prime her, and start painting. I also need to figure out how I'm going to hold her while I'm painting her; she's much too big for any of my existing holders. 

Here's the front and back of the wall by itself.

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

New Project!

 Yes, it's been a while. Combination of being busy with other things, and working on a commission piece for a while. The commission is done, so I'm back to my own projects.

I'm working on building the display base for a 54mm figure I'm starting. I've had this in mind for a while, but am just now feeling good enough about building things to tackle it. I'm going to center the figure on a balcony in front of a stained glass window. This the large rose windows in some cathedrals. 

In any case, I'm working on the back wall with the window in it. I'm building it out of foam core, using a jewelry piece or finding I got from a craft store, and then facing it with foam bricks to make it look properly like stone. 

Here's the foam core base with the grate glued in place, front and back. There's clear plastic behind the grate, which I will paint in various transparent colors to give it the stained glass look. I cut a hole in the foam core for the grate, and clad the edge in black construction paper.

I attached this back wall to the base, which may or may not have been a good idea. It will make trimming down the foam bricks more difficult, for sure.

Then I glued the bricks on. I hand trimmed the ones around the window to give them circular edges that that slope inward. That could have been a lot smoother - I should have used a sharper knife. 

Next will be to trim down the outside edge of the bricks and then cover it with the same paste I've been using on the clock towers.