I should have gotten back to Vin today, but instead I finished up the sorceress since she was so close to done.
Friday, August 27, 2021
More highlights on her dress, and some smoothing. Also tried fixing her eyes a little...I think they're better, though still not great. I started a base coat on her shoes and hat. I was going with darker green, but I think it's too much green and I might switch some of it to purple.
Oh, and I did her belt thing.
Wednesday, August 25, 2021
Sunday, August 22, 2021
Wednesday, August 18, 2021
Monday, August 16, 2021
I need to solve some logistical problems with Vin, so I went back to the sorceress today instead. I finished her skin and face - mostly - and base coated her hair.
I realized that I missed her shoulder, so I put a base coat on that and will have to go back and finish her skin there. I'm also not loving how her hair covers half her eyes. It makes it hard to make her eyes look right, and also, nobody would let there hair sit like that for long. It would be super annoying.
Anyway, next will be to finish her shoulder and her hair, then on to the dress. It'll be green.
Sunday, August 15, 2021
Friday, August 13, 2021
Thursday, August 12, 2021
Wednesday, August 11, 2021
After gluing the sorcerer's other arm on, it became clear it was going to need some putty on the joint. So, I started with that today. This dude is on the hairy edge of turning into a right mess. I'll need to re-prime and re-base that section of his robe, and there's going to be some texture to deal with.
I also got a first layer of shadow on Vin's skin:
I'm going to have to come up with a solution for a holder for her.
And last, some new figures came in the mail today and there were a couple I felt interested in, so I cleaned them up and primer them. Because having a lot of projects going at once always works out for me. Totally.
These are going to be my 'when I don't feel like working on anything serious' projects.
Sunday, August 8, 2021
Worked on the sorcerer today. I started on the base coat of the robe and meant to finish that area, but doing the other arm separately was not working for me. So, I did a shadow coat of area that would be hard to paint once the arm is glued on, and glued it on. I might regret that later, but for now I'm happier working on it.
Friday, August 6, 2021
I got back to <gasp!> painting figures today. I did shading and highlighting on the sorcerer guy I started a while back, and base coated the skin on the figure for the scenic base I've been building, who I'm going to call Vin. Even though I'm not going to paint her to look like Vin.
There's the sorcerer and his not-yet-attached arm. His eyes are not great. I'm also trying Scale 75 paints on this guy. So far, so good. I think they've got a little more vinyl than Reaper, but not a ton more. They also don't need nearly as much thinning to get to a level of transparency I like for blending, which is interesting. Generally I'm used to skin tones, particularly light skin tones, being pretty opaque.
Painting her, I'm finding a lot more casting issues than I remember. Luckily, most of them are on hidden areas, so it mostly shouldn't show.
Wednesday, August 4, 2021
I meant to just do a bit on the cathedral base and then switch to painting an actual mini, but...it didn't go that way. I textured the railing and painted the sword instead. The good news is, for now the base is done. I could clean up the black edging maybe, but I'll probably have to do more of that once more is glued in place, so I'm going to wait and do it all at once.
Here it is without the railing, so you can see the sword. I did not do a stellar job on this NMM, as it's not going to be very visible anyway.
And here's with the railing dry fit in place. I don't love the difference in texture between the wall and the railing, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I could have speckled the railing with paint instead, but I'm not sure that would have been better, just different in a different way.
I'm definitely going to have to putty the bottom of the balusters when they are fixed in place, so there will be some repainting around there when that happens. But in the meantime, I need to focus on the figure for a while.
I'm also starting to wish I'd painted that frame for the window black.
Monday, August 2, 2021
Tonight I shaded and highlighted the wall, and got a base coat on the railing.
I will also shade and highlight the railing soon, and paint that sword. I might paint the edge of the balcony black again; I think I liked it better that way. Still debating.
Here's without the railing.
It's also time to start painting the figure pretty soon.
Sunday, August 1, 2021
I did more work on the base today, but it's again things that aren't terribly visible. I did some gap filling on the railing, and placed the sword that she's going to be balancing her right foot on. I can probably do more painting on those pieces now, but not today - needed to wait for the glue and putty to dry.
I had some more time after that, so I started painting this sorcerer dude from GW. I base coated the skin, and then put a dark shadow color on parts of the cloak and robe. The cloak was a separate piece, so filling in the shadow color allowed me to glue it in place without having to worry about painting in to covered/difficult to reach areas later. It also allowed me to do some gap filling on the shoulders that would have been very unfortunate to have to do after painting the pieces separately.
His right arm is another separate piece, but I'll probably have to wait a while to glue that in.