Wednesday, July 21, 2021

New Project!

 Yes, it's been a while. Combination of being busy with other things, and working on a commission piece for a while. The commission is done, so I'm back to my own projects.

I'm working on building the display base for a 54mm figure I'm starting. I've had this in mind for a while, but am just now feeling good enough about building things to tackle it. I'm going to center the figure on a balcony in front of a stained glass window. This the large rose windows in some cathedrals. 

In any case, I'm working on the back wall with the window in it. I'm building it out of foam core, using a jewelry piece or finding I got from a craft store, and then facing it with foam bricks to make it look properly like stone. 

Here's the foam core base with the grate glued in place, front and back. There's clear plastic behind the grate, which I will paint in various transparent colors to give it the stained glass look. I cut a hole in the foam core for the grate, and clad the edge in black construction paper.

I attached this back wall to the base, which may or may not have been a good idea. It will make trimming down the foam bricks more difficult, for sure.

Then I glued the bricks on. I hand trimmed the ones around the window to give them circular edges that that slope inward. That could have been a lot smoother - I should have used a sharper knife. 

Next will be to trim down the outside edge of the bricks and then cover it with the same paste I've been using on the clock towers.

No comments:

Post a Comment