Friday, January 25, 2013


Topless mermaid at the bottom.

First, the seaweed experiments after they dried.

It doesn't show up great, but this is what I learned:

  • The gel base worked better than the glue. It had more body left to it after it dried, where the glue really didn't have much mass left, especially with the flock mixed in as texture. The flock just socked it all up. That would be great if you wanted the flock texture, but that wasn't the look I was after - I wanted some texture in a smooth volume. Also, it dried semi-transparent, which again was not what I was after.
  • Don't try to judge color until the medium is dry. It looks too different.
  • For this purpose, the scatter basing was the better texture. The flock was too big and chunky.
  • Both the glue and the matte blase shrink a fair bit when they dry. You can't see it very well in the picture, but the wax paper curled right up where there was stuff on it.
So, I ended up using the mat base with the darker gray/green, and the scatter base for texture. Finished pictures below.

And, some more work on the gangers. No, they're not very stylish. Half of them are going to have the shiny red leather pants, and the others will have black. They're going to be pretty ridiculous when they're done. Then again, I think they kinda started out that way.

And, the finished mermaid. After all that about the seaweed added to the doesn't show up much.I put it on, let it dry, then gave it a wash, a drybrush, and a coat of gloss varnish (that will have to be done again after she gets her spray-on matte top coat in the spring, when the weather is warm enough to use spray paint outside).

No comments:

Post a Comment