Saturday, January 23, 2021

Tower: More Roof

 I continued working on the tower's roof. First was putting on some cardboard sheathing to glue the shingles to. I wasn't worried about getting the cardboard to all line up real nice, as it's going to be covered anyway. Even so, there are issues.


I still don't love the height and slope of the roof, but I'm sticking with it. I found that once I had the sheathing on the roof frame, it didn't fit as nice on the top anymore. The sheathing is at such an angle that it gets in the way. of the frame sitting on the top edge of the building. I fixed this by setting the roof in place as straight and even as I could, and then jamming a bunch of hot glue under the edge to hold it in place.

I ended up not putting fake rafters under the edge for the same reason; there's not really enough space under there. But then I moved on the shingles, which I made by cutting s strip off of a cereal box and then cutting in slits to form the shingles. It's a little off in that the 'shingles' are not evenly sized, so they don't all line up the way they should. I need to trim down the edges when the glue has completely dried, and then I can move on to the other sides. I use tacky glue, which is why I have to wait. I might try hot glue for the next set so that I don't have to wait for one side to dry before continuing on to the next, but I don't like how much volume hot glue adds.

I also noticed another issue with the texture on the second set of side - it's got a lot of bubbles. Definitely need to be careful with the mix next time I try to use it for this purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment