Saturday, September 28, 2019

Demon: Chest shading

I got in a little bit of work today...not as much as I'd hoped, but that's pretty much every day, isn't it?

Anyway, I got a first round of shading on his chest. I've decided I am going to do region by region.


I'm going to play with a technique from the workshop I took with Sergio Calvo earlier this year. Specifically, I'm going to use his method for deciding where to place shadows and highlights. Here's what I'm going to try to do:

1.Shade and highlight the body, head, and arms as if they are each big cylinders. This will put the brightest highlights toward the center of those things, and shadows out to the sides.
2. For individual areas (like the muscles, etc.) shade and highlight as if the light source is in front of and a little above the figure. Same for that back - shade and highlight like there's a light hitting it straight on and from a little above. Realistic? Not necessarily, but the way he explained it, this helps draw the focus to the most important parts of the figure.

There are some things he taught us that I'm not going to do. For instance, in the workshop he had us base coat the figure with the first shadow color and then work up from there. What I learned is that I really, really don't like working up from dark bases. I find it difficult to see the detail, difficult to cover with the light colors...it just doesn't suit me. So I've started with my mid tone and will, as usual, work up and down from there. But I'm going to try placing shadows and highlights per what he taught us. I'm not used to thinking about it in terms of defining volumes like that, so that will be a little different for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment