Thursday, November 26, 2020

Frigge: Dress, Gluing Bits. Base.

 I finished off Frigge's dress, and then glued on the remaining bits.




She also comes with feathers that are supposed to go along the bottom edge of the shield, but I think they look kinda weird so I'm not going to use them. I also have doubts about how sturdy the feathers on her head will be. I give it a 50/50 chance that at least one of them comes off while I'm painting them. 

Either way, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to finish her tomorrow.

Since once I glued those things on I couldn't work on her anymore today, I got back to the base:



The nice thing about painting things like stone is that if you do something and you're not happy with it, you can just keep futzing. I first did a wash of off-black, blue, and purple, but I wasn't loving where it was going. So I came back with desaturated green and blue, and a darker brown, and then a couple lighter greys, and stippled those colors all over the place. I was a lot happier with that. Then I hit it with a wash again to kind of make all the stippling look more like part of the rock rather than just sitting on the surface. Then, I painted a dark color in the sculpted cracks and corners. I was so happy with the cracks that I painted on a few extra. Then I went back to the light gray to pick out the edges, line the edges of the cracks, and highlight the sculpted bits on the front of each step. They don't show up well in the pictures, but look better live. I might put some dark around them to make them show up better.

I think I'm pretty content with it, but I'm going to wait and see what I think tomorrow before actually gluing it to the plinth.

No comments:

Post a Comment