Friday, December 7, 2018

Angel: Skin

I'd meant to start working on my commission piece today, but I just wasn't feeling it. So, instead I went back to the angel. I may keep working on her for a couple days - do a quick, low pressure piece to recharge my batteries - or I may go to the commission piece next time. Depends on how I feel.




I've decided to play with colors on her. The skin tone is a much yellower one than I usually use (it's Reaper Elf Flesh). I'm using a reddish purple (Reaper Bruised Purple or something like that) mixed with the skin tone for the shadows, and for the highlights I'm mixing the base skin tone with Linen White and Lemon Yellow. I used that Bruised Purple straight for her lips and the lining around her eyes. It gave her a pretty goth kinda look, which I'm going to stick with as a theme, I think. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to articulate that theme, as I've already decided she's going to have green hair and probably a lot of green elsewhere on the figure as well.

I also haven't decided what to do with the flames in her hand and the OSL that they call for. That's not really good - I should have a plan for that so that I can handle the highlighting and shading over there appropriately as I'm working on those areas. At best, it means I'll probably have to redo all those shadows and highlights.

I might go with a white flame - I can't recall seeing anybody do white OSL, though it should be possible. There are two difficulties I see what that. One, white is the defacto light color used for the regular' highlights on most figures, so having white highlights from the source won't be as different as they could. I'm thinking I'll try to get around that by putting yellow in my 'regular' highlights.

Two, the source needs to be the brightest thing on the figure, meaning it needs to be the actual white thing. Which means the highlights from that source will be...what? Less bright white? No good will come of that. Probably it'll just be white mixed with whatever the base color for that area is.

In any case, I expect it will be a bit of a challenge, not made any easier by the fact that I'm not accounting for it early.

But I do like those yellowish skin tones with the reddish purple shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment