Sunday, June 23, 2019

9! 10!

For starters today, I finished off Jana, as I expected. At least, she's done pending approval from the client.




I also continued my experiments with GW Contrast paints. This is the paints over zenithal priming. I'd seen reviews indicating that this doesn't work, and I was curious as to why.



In my opinion, it's a little more complicated than that. The blue and red contrast paint are helped somewhat by the underpainting, but they tended not to darken up when pooled up. The browns and skin tones, which tended to darken better in the pools, aren't really helped by it. The texture of the white primer also showed through more than I am happy with.

In any case, I don't think it totally doesn't work over the zenithal priming. I do think that you lose the advantage of the contrast paints by using them that way, except possibly the reds and blues.

I also tried the white contrast paint. It's not really white, it's more of a pale bluish gray. It doesn't really read as white to me. I need to try it over the intended primer and see if it makes a difference.

I got a little farther along with Zahra, adding another set of shadows to her skin.



And last, I started up my next commission. It's hard to see much detail on this Dungeons and Doggies figure with just the primer layer.


I have a diorama I want to get done before ReaperCon so I'd kind of like to start that, but I think I'm going to spend this week trying to get Zahra done quickly. She's been on my table for far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment