Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Adepticon Roundup, Class with Kiril, and Ezren: Robes

Yes, it has been a while. I went to Adepticon, went to a two day workshop taught by Kiril 'Yellow One' Kanaev, and just got home and back to painting today.

First: Adepticon. Had a good time, took a bunch of classes in various techniques that I don't expect to adopt wholesale, but will practice with and add parts in to my techniques. I took classes in wet blending, mini sketching, NMM, textures, scene composition, and weathering. As far as Crystal Brush goes, I entered Jaheda. I made first cut in the judging, but didn't make it in to the online voting. This doesn't surprise me at all. There were many entries and it was very, very competitive.

Next: Workshop with Kiril. This was a two day intensive workshop. The first day, we worked on painting a face. The second day, the class split into one group that continued on their faces and a second group that worked on textures. I went to the texture group.

We were working with a bust that is much larger than what I usually paint. Here it is with Trista for scale:


In the face segment, Kiril gave a short lecture on face details. Then we each chose a picture to use as a model. The task was to copy the colors and patterns of the face in the picture on to the bust. It led to a lot of faces being painted in colors that you wouldn't necessarily think of when you think 'skin tones' It was very much about paying attention to what you actually see, not what you think you see.

Here's my picture:


You can see that Tarkin there is surprisingly yellow/green, when you really look at him, with purples around his eyes and reds across his nose and cheeks.

Here's the bust:




The second day was textures - rough cloth, metal, fur, and leather. You can see the demo and practice sections on the bust. The cloth textures I think I get the idea of, but will need lots of practice to do effectively. The metal I think I got pretty well. Leather, I'll have to work with. The fur...I totally didn't get.

In any case, it's a lot to think about and work with. I'm not sure how much will apply to smaller figures, but I think at least some.

Lastly, I got back to Ezren tonight. Put details on his sleeves and started on the robes. I am continuing to power through him as quick as I can.



Tomorrow I might get back to Takhi. I'm re-thinking the fur a little bit in light of what I learned(?) at the workshop, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do anything differently or not. Kiril's fur didn't really click with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment